As I have been traveling for business pretty much every single week for the last 8 years, I have developed my own pretty specific preferences of what to pack on a short business trip (1-5 days). So here’s my business trip packing list (hand luggage only):
My Business trip packing list (hand luggage only)
- Suitcase Samsonite Neopulse spinner 55cm – I love four-wheel spinners over two-wheel suitcases as I have more options to move my suitcase and they cost less energy. The only moment I would prefer a backpack-style bag is when I am spending a lot of time moving around in a city during the day (e.g. meetings all over London). Spinners are then slowing you down, especially if you are fortunate enough to encounter a lot of stair or cobblestones. In all honesty, I am medium happy with my suitcase. In my experience, Samsonite wheels tend to lose their smooth operations rather fast. I found their customer service not too responsive and their local repair infrastructure hard to reach.
- Default Toilet bag (also, see my post on how I use different colored toilet bags to pack super-fast)
- Hair wax
- Toothpaste (huge Paradontax fan)
- Electric toothbrush Oral B Genius 8000 S
- Food toilet bag with
- Porridge / oatmeal – I am rather picky when it comes to breakfast and I usually get up very early (somewhere between 4 and 6) when there is no breakfast available yet.
- Jam – to use with the porridge/oatmeal.
- Tea – I like good tea, so usually change the hotel tea bags for fresh tea packed in a sealed container.
- Sports gear
- Garmin Forerunner 935 to track my runs.
- Nike hip belt to carry my phone, wet wipes, some cash money, ID and bank card while running.
- Clothing for runs:
- T-shirt for each run planned that week – I love my Nike Combat Compression shirts.
- Long sleeve shirts (in winter)
- Pair of shorts for each run
- Pair of socks for each run
- Boxers for each run
- Running toilet bag with
- Charging cable for my Garmin Forerunner 935
- Wet wipes
- Extra pair of contact lenses
- Nail clipper
- iPhone earphones
- Camelbak Circuit vest (only if I have long runs planned)
- Summer gear:
- Decathlon sunglasses
- Running cap
- Winter gear:
- Manduka eKO Superlite yoga mat (for core exercises in my hotel room)
- Running shoes (depending on my planned runs, I will switch between my regular shoes, trail runners or lytes)
- Running shoe bag
- Two plastic hairnets to put over the soles of my running shoes to keep dirt from scattering around my suitcase (also see my separate post on how I use hairnets).
Notes for my Business trip packing list
- When I need to pack my suit and for longer stays, I usually switch to a larger suit case.
Recent changes to my Business trip packing list
- My yoga mat was added early 2018.
- I dropped wearing white t-shirts under my button-up shirts after French colleagues made painfully clear that that was the Dutchest thing to do ever.
Changes I am planning to make to my Business trip packing list
- I will need to change my default toilet bag to a see-through one for security clearance purposes.
- I am really considering upgrading my Samsonite suitcase for a Rimowa one.
- To cut down on my plastic footprint, I will be adding my own travel cutlery soon.