My brother and I were staying in Naples on our way to and from hiking the Amalfi Coast, an amazing trail along the Amalfi Coast and its highlights. So here are the best tips for Naples – according to me.
Why you’ll love Naples
Naples is a mess. Chaotic. Dirty. Taxi drivers that rip you off. But in its roughness, there is a lot of passion and a lot of beauty. Beautiful ancient streets, amazing food and love and passion for food.
And finally, Naples is easy to reach via plane and gives you some amazing opportunities to explore the area: the Amalfi Coast, Pompeii, Capri and the cities of Salerno and Sorrento.
My best omakase experience in Naples
The Japanese habit of omakase (お任せ) when you’re ordering at a restaurant pretty much means, “I’ll leave it up to you”, inviting the chef to be innovative and surprising in the selection of dishes. I try to do it in every city I visit, and apply the idea behind to everything between how I pick my runs, how I pick my food, how I plan activities with my kids, how I explore cities and how I travel in general. So, I tried this in Amsterdam as well.
My best omakase experience in Naples was Antica Pizzeria Sorbillo. I had the waiter choose a pizza for me. It is not only the best food we had in Naples, but it was also without a doubt the best pizza I ever had. I would literally fly to Naples just for this pizza. Pizza after this never tasted the same. My life can literally be defined in my pizza-life before and after Antica Pizzeria Sorbillo.
Naples – my favorite places to eat
- Antica Pizzeria Sorbillo. I could pretty much stop after this. It is not only the best food we had in Naples, but it was also without a doubt the best pizza I ever had. I would literally fly to Naples just for this pizza. Pizza after this never tasted the same. My life can literally be defined in my pizza-life before and after Antica Pizzeria Sorbillo.
- Pizzeria da Michele, made famous by Julia Roberts in the film Eat Pray Love.
- L’etto is an extremely trendy restaurant where, instead of paying a fixed price for a meal, customers pay for their food by weight. Good food, friendly ambiance.
Naples – my favorite places to stay
- We stayed at the Domus Rosa B&B, right in the city center. You got to love the bright blue and pink rooms. The owners are amazingly friendly.
Naples – my favorite places to go out for a drink
- Vinarte 52 is a great wine bar in the city center.
- We had some really nice wines and bites at Il Mantegno Vineria.
Naples – my favorite things to do
- Just stroll around the city.
- Not too far out of Naples is Pompeii, the ancient Roman city.
- Within a few hours, either by train, boat or car, you will be at the Amalfi Coast or the Island of Capri, which will offer you amazing food, great beaches and one of the best hiking trails I’ve ever done, the Amalfi coast hike.
Naples – my favorite places to get some work done
- As my brother works for one of the universities in The Netherlands, we were able to work from one of the universities in Naples for a day (well, we actually kind of bluffed our way in). An amazing experience.