I had been in Dubai … well, its airport before. And then I decided I wanted to work a week remotely somewhere in the world. And I settled on Dubai. Little did I know I would love the city so much.
Table of Contents
- Dubai – why you’ll love it
- My best omakase experience in Dubai
- The best places to have a drink in Dubai – according to me
- The best places for dinner in Dubai – according to me
- The best hotels in Dubai – according to me
- The best things to do in Dubai – according to me
- The best places to get some work done in Dubai – according to me
- The best places for a run in Dubai – according to me
Dubai – why you’ll love it
Dubai is a mix of many amazing things: great food, amazing service levels, the newest technologies, and some stunning beaches.
My best omakase experience in Dubai
The Japanese habit of omakase (お任せ) when you’re ordering at a restaurant pretty much means, “I’ll leave it up to you”, inviting the chef to be innovative and surprising in the selection of dishes. I try to do it in every city I visit and apply the idea behind to everything between how I pick my runs, how I pick my food, how I plan activities with my kids, how I explore cities and how I travel in general. So, I tried this in Amsterdam as well.
My best omakase experience in Dubai was at [add]
The best places to have a drink in Dubai – according to me
The best places for dinner in Dubai – according to me
- The Weslodge at the JW Marriot Marquis in Business Bay has city’s largest grill, and the mixologist there is second to none.
- Salmontini (what’s in a name) in the Mall of the Emirates – it’s on the second floor at the end of the Ski Slope – their salmon is simply the finest I’ve ever tried.
If you’re looking for a decent weekend brunch, then I recommend downloading Groupon – a lot of the 5-star hotels on the Palm have offers.
The best hotels in Dubai – according to me
Ow man. Hotels in Dubai. So many choices. Even when narrowing it down to the key loyalty programs I’m active in (IHG, Marriott and Hilton, where I have Platinum or similar status), it was quite the challenge to find the best hotel. What helped me a lot is narrowing the options down to two types of hotels: the downtown hotels in the city center, with great connection to every part of the city and the resort-style hotels, with mainly beach and pool facilities.
City style hotels
Hotels in the city – great for business and exploring the city.
- Hotel Renaissance Downtown (Marriott) – I eventually settled for the
- I had heard mixed reviews about the Conrad Hotel (Hilton), which by many reviewers does not live up to normal Conrad statusses. However, value-for-money wise it is still one of the best hotels in the city center with amazing connectivity with the rest of the city.
Beach-resort style hotels – great for relaxing, not so much for business.
The best things to do in Dubai – according to me
The best places to get some work done in Dubai – according to me
- I loved coffee place Grounded at the Hotel Renaissance Downtown
The best places for a run in Dubai – according to me
- Al Safa Park is the place for a run in Dubai.
- However, most of the time -because of the weather- I just stayed inside and used the good old treadmill.