I have spent over 200 nights per year in hotels for the last 7 years. So by now, I have a pretty good idea what a good or a bad hotel is. I had my fair share of dirty hotel rooms and I had my sad birthday hotel experiment. Here are my experiences with IHG: The best and worst of IHG hotels – according to me.
I will be continuously updating this post based on my most recent experiences. Also, read more hotel reviews or the specific reviews on Marriott, IHG and Hilton.
On my IHG hotel experiences.
I love and hate IHG now for over 3 years. It is the best of hotels and the worst of hotels (more on that below): some of the nicest people and staff and some of the most horrible hotel experiences.
I currently hold Spire Ambassador status with IHG (second year now).
The best of IHG hotels.
Some of my favorite properties are with IHG: the QO in Amsterdam, the Kimpton De Witt in Amsterdam, the Kimpton Fitzroy in London, the Indigo Hotels including the Indigo hotel in Antwerp and the Indigo in The Hague.
Apart from that, it is relatively easy to collect and redeem points.
The worst of IHG hotels.
The number of bad experiences I’ve had with IHG is staggering. From a serious privacy issue where another guest’s email address was connected to my stay to dirty rooms (the photo with the stained couch is from one of my IHG stays) and from writing my name and address details wrong (up to 80% of the times) to missing stays (at some point 7 out of my 9 last stays). Maybe the worst is their horrible customer service (standard replies, hanging up the phone).
All my hotel posts:
- My not-so-sad little hotel birthday experiment
- A few words on hotel sex
- How Marriott quickly became my favorite hotel chain
- Reaching Marriott Bonvoy Platinum – the fast way.
- Miss Clara Hotel Stockholm: Scandinavian vibe and efficiency
- Hotel Indigo The Hague – Palace Noordeinde: a royal base for your city trip
- My all-time favorite travel brands
- My all-time favorite hotels
- Best time to book hotel rooms (loyalty program perspective)
- Keeping track of hotel screw-ups
- The best and worst of IHG hotels – according to me.
- The best and worst of Hilton hotels – according to me.
- The best and worst of Marriott hotels – according to me.
- Hotel Nassau Breda: old meets new turned into magic
- Kimpton Fitzroy London: magical, but certainly not perfect
- Kimpton hotels smart acts of hospitality
- My best and worst travel experiences of 2018
- One Shot Fortuny hotel Madrid: oasis in busy Madrid
- Intercontinental Ambassador – is it worth it?
- InterContinental Aqaba (Resort Aqaba): Affordable Red Sea Luxury
- Hilton Honors versus IHG Rewards Club for frequent travelers
- QO Amsterdam: sustainable luxury frontrunner
- My sad little hotel birthday experiment
- Hotel Indigo Antwerp City Centre: comfortable Antwerp visit
- Hof van Saksen in Nooitgedacht: family holidays without the hassle.
- Kimpton De Witt Amsterdam: Luxury done right
- 1898 The Post Gent: boutique hotel with Harry-Potter-esque vibes
- Hotel V Fizeaustraat Amsterdam: best of the seventies, best of now.
- How loyalty in travel is messed up