The majestic view of its bridges, castles and baths never seizes to impress me, even after being there a few times. These are my favorite places in Budapest:
Note: I am continually updating this list. Also, see my other citytrip tips.
Budapest – my favorite places to eat
Food in Budapest … just … wow.
- For a Michelin star restaurant, Wine Kitchen is super affordable. The food is amazing (expect robust classic French kitchen), especially its wine pairings (hence the name). Make sure to make a reservation beforehand (€€€).
- Onyx Budapest even has two Michelin stars and has a similar story. We had a great experience when we had to cancel our reservation because my wife was ill during our pregnancy – the team was super friendly and flexible (€€€).
- We loved the ‘student experience’ at Hummus Bar in Budapest (there are several throughout town). Great for the pitta bread with falafel, hummus and eggplant spreads.
- Margit kert has a great courtyard and the food is beyond decent. (€€)
Budapest – my favorite places to stay
- The Buddha-Bar Hotel in Budapest is truly amazing and worth a visit.
Budapest – my favorite places to go out for a drink
- Espresso Embassy has amazing coffee.
- The 360 Bar has a bit of a strange entrance through a business-like building, but one of the best views over Budapest.
- There are several ‘ruin bars’ throughout town, in abandoned buildings.
- Drop Shop Wine Bar (near the parliament).
- Palack Borbar (opposite Gellert bath).
- Several wine bars at Kiraly Utca square.
- At Balna Budapest there’s a great micro brewery near the Donau river. A bit more challenging to reach by tram, but totally worth it if you’re enjoying a local beer in the sun near the river.
Budapest – my favorite places to go out for a bath
Actually you should try all baths in Budapest – each one of them has distinct features that make it worthwile visiting.
- Rudas baths is probably our favorite.
- Szechency has a great outdoor swimming pool.
- Gellert Spa and Bath is insanely beautifull, but unfortunately men and women have separate baths.