I have locked in my trip to Greenland and the Arctic Circle Trail for next year. No way back. Now comes the time of planning my trip and non-hiking days.
While planning I made some choices:
- Rather than flying to Kangerlussuaq, start hiking there and then catching a flight back from Sisimiut, I decided to travel to Sisimiut first and then start hiking to Kangerlussuaq as the end point. It will reduce my number of travel days and the chance there are problems with getting back in time.
- I also have been in doubt whether to spend some time in Nuuk or Ilullisat to see the fjords and glaciers there. I could have taken a multi-city flight from Copenhagen to Sisimiut via Kangerlussuaq and Nuuk (with a 24h stopover in Nuuk), but that was more than 350 euros more expensive than my current flights. Currently, it seems that Ilullisat is the best option to spend some extra time.
Some sources I used:
- Globingaround has a nice description of her time in Ilullisat.
So, here’s the rough day planning:
- Day 1 (June 17th) – stay in Copenhagen
- 10h35-13h55 Travel from Brussels to Copenhagen (stopover in Amsterdam – hey, I’m still a KLM fan)
- Visit Copenhagen town
- Day 2 (June 18th) – sleep on the trail
- 11h00-13h10 Travel from Copenhagen to Sisimiut (Greenland) via Kangerlussuaq (Greenland).
- Spend time in Sisimiut: Teleøen which has some really great ruins and go on a seal and whale safari (Thanks Jesper Schroder for the tips)
- Get my last groceries and a gas canister
- Hiking Day 1 (17km?)
- Day 3 (June 19th) – sleep on the trail
- Hiking Day 2 (33km till lake house?)
- Day 4 (June 20th) – sleep on the trail
- Hiking Day 3 (32 + partly towards Canoe center towards white beach (?))
- Day 5 (June 21st) – sleep on the trail
- Hiking Day 4 (42 km + rest of Canoe center)
- Day 6 (June 22nd) – sleep on the trail, near the glacier (tip from Jesper Schroder: “It is free to around Russell, just don’t put your tent up too close to Russell, it is a glacier and therefore there is ice that falls down. As long as you don’t keep your hut on the rocks but on the grass then you should be fine”)?
- Hiking Day 5 (12 km? + towards glacier?)
- Visit Russell Glacier (?) and/or Point 660 (?)
- Day 7 (June 23rd) – sleep in Ilullisat?
- 12h05-12h50 Fly from Kangerlussuaq to Ilullisat
- Spend time in Ilullisat
- Day 8 (June 24th) – sleep in Ilullisat
- Day 9 (June 25th) – stay in Kangerlussuaq
- Spend time in Ilullisat
- 11h50-12h40 Fly from Ilullisat to Kangerlussuaq
- Day 10 (June 26th) – stay in Copenhagen
- 11h40-20h00 Travel from Kangerlussuaq to Copenhagen.
- Day 10 (June 27th) – stay in Copenhagen
- Spend time in Copenhagen
- Visit team of Visit Greenland in Copenhagen
- Day 10 (June 28th)
- 06h00-09h50 Travel from Copenhagen to Brussels
Got some tips, ideas? Let me know.
Photo by Globingaround