While I grew up and spent most of my youth in Tilburg, I spent quite some time in Eindhoven, also as part of my studies there. Eindhoven has undergone a remarkable transformation in the last couple of years: from sleepy tech city into creative city trip destination. So here are the best tips for Eindhoven – according to me.
Table of Contents
- Why you’ll love Eindhoven
- My best omakase experience in Eindhoven
- The best hotels in Eindhoven – according to me
- The best things to do in Eindhoven – according to me
- The best restaurants in Eindhoven – according to me
- The best bars in Eindhoven – according to me
- The best coffee places in Eindhoven – according to me
- The best places to get some work done in Eindhoven – according to me
- The best places for a run in Eindhoven – according to me
Why you’ll love Eindhoven
Eindhoven used to be a rather boring city for city trips. But with Philips, the large Dutch technology company moving out of the city center, freeing up some amazingly cool properties in the middle of the city, the city turned into one of the more exciting cities in The Netherlands.
Promoting itself as design and technology city does not do full credit to the transformation the city has made the last years. From its design museums to the large creative Strijp-S area and from the different food markets to the Stratumseind bar area, the city is a really really nice place for a city trip.
Finally, Eindhoven has a nearby airport with some great connections throughout Europe.
My best omakase experience in Eindhoven
The Japanese habit of omakase (お任せ) when you’re ordering at a restaurant pretty much means, “I’ll leave it up to you”, inviting the chef to be innovative and surprising in the selection of dishes. I try to do it in every city I
I still have to have my a true omakase experience in Eindhoven – the best thing were the random bites I ordered at restaurant Usine. So will keep you posted 🙂
The best hotels in Eindhoven – according to me
hotelsArt Eindhoven is quite a nice design hotel very very close to the city center.
- I stayed at the Blue Collar Hotel in the Strijp S area of the city, which is a nice base to explore the city. Ask for a room that is away from the railway tracks 🙂
The best things to do in Eindhoven – according to me
- Strijp-S might be one of the most exciting areas in the whole of the Netherlands. Where used to be the factories of Philips in Eindhoven, now are galleries, bars, restaurants, museums, shops and residential areas. A great place to spend a part of the day or even a day. Be sure to check out the event/festival calendar.
- One of the most famous designers from the Netherlands, Piet Hein Eek, has his workshop, store
andrestaurant at Strijp-R – definitely worth a visit.
- Every year, there’s Dutch Design Week with some insanely cool design events, with both design students and established names.
- Consider adding day trips to either the Efteling theme park or the Beekse Bergen safari park to your planning.
The best restaurants in Eindhoven – according to me
- The Down Town Gourmet Market is a food market with 21 different eateries or -as they call themselves- an ‘eclectic eating and gathering sanctuary’ (sorry for the marketing speak).
- Berlage is a beautiful restaurant in the city center. Be sure to make a reservation in advance.
- In the Strijp-S area, there is Vershal Het Veem, a really nice food market.
The best bars in Eindhoven – according to me
- Like Tilburg has its Korte Heuvel street with bars, Eindhoven has the Stratumseind, a long street full of a wide variety of bars. As a
studentI spent quite some time here.
- Eindhoven has a city brewery with some amazing beers.
- Vane is a restaurant/
skybarwith a great view of the city.
The best coffee places in Eindhoven – according to me
Book shopVan Piere is one of my favorite places in Eindhoven to get a coffee, read books and buy books and magazines.
- Usine is not too far from Van Piere and is a large, very open yet cozy place for coffee, food
The best places to get some work done in Eindhoven – according to me
The above mentioned Van Piere and Usine are usually my favourite places in Eindhoven to get some work done, as they have great coffee, wifi and enough power sockets to make it through the day 🙂
The best places for a run in Eindhoven – according to me
The Dommel river runs right through Eindhoven, which is a great way to not only explore the city, but also see some hidden green parts.