Table of Contents
- Why you’ll love Gothenburg
- My best omakase experience in Gothenburg
- The best hotels in Gothenburg – according to me.
- The best restaurants in Gothenburg – according to me.
- The best bars in Gothenburg – according to me.
- The best things to do in Gothenburg – according to me.
- The best places to get some work done in Gothenburg – according to me.
Why you’ll love Gothenburg
Great food, amazingly friendly people and stunning nature within 30 minutes of the city. Gothenburg is a super versatile base for a weekend city trip.
My best omakase experience in Gothenburg
The Japanese habit of omakase (お任せ) when you’re ordering at a restaurant pretty much means, “I’ll leave it up to you”, inviting the chef to be innovative and surprising in the selection of dishes. I try to do it in every city I
Our best omakase experience in Gothenburg was at Dubbel Dubbel, an Asian restaurant, where we had some amazing Asian food, including the best dumplings I had in a long while.
The best hotels in Gothenburg – according to me.
- Elite Park Avenue Hotel. Rooms are fine, but the lobby, the breakfast, bar and restaurant are amazing.
The best restaurants in Gothenburg – according to me.
- Smaka has some great traditional köttbullar, the Swedish meat balls made famous by IKEA (but in contrast to IKEA, these are actually tasty).
- Feskekôrka is a rather small (but nevertheless very tasty) food (mainly fish) market in an old church in Gothenburg. Great for a quick bite.
- The Barn has maybe the best burgers I ever had.
- We had amazing dumplings at Dubbel Dubbel.
The best bars in Gothenburg – according to me.
- Björns Bar is a very good wine bar with great bites below the famous Koka restaurant.
- Da Matteo is a great coffee place. They actually supply other bars and restaurants with coffee as well.
- Ölrepubliken has a wide variety of beers.
The best things to do in Gothenburg – according to me.
- The Haga neighborhood has some great, cosy shopping streets.
- The Palmhuset (Palm House) is an impressive botanical garden in the middle of a park. It is
- One of the things I like most about Gothenburg is the fact that less than 30 minutes outside of the city, you will have some beautiful quiet pieces of nature. We loved visiting Vrångö, the southernmost island of the Gothenburg archipelago. We got there via tram and a small ferry boat.
- There are quite some nice furniture stores in Gothenburg, of which we liked Artilleriet very much.
- Liseberg theme park is nice for both kids and adults, but make sure it’s open when you’re in Gothenburg (they close during winter).
The best places to get some work done in Gothenburg – according to me.
- Da Matteo in the city center has some great coffee and wifi. Besides that, it is rather spacious, which makes it a great base to get some work done.