I did two trips to Japan. And I will definately be back. It was the first destination ever in my life that I wanted to return to as soon as I was back home. My first trip was in 2016 as part of a two week trip to Japan, which included visits to Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka and Kobe as well as hiking a large part of the Kumano Kodo pilgrimage trail. The second time was in 2019, when I visited Osaka again, redid a part of the Kumano Kodo trail (the Nakahechi part) and added the Kohechi part to Koyasan. So here are the best tips for Japan – according to me.
Why you’ll love Japan
Wow. Just wow. If there’s one country that will surprise and amaze you, it will be Japan.
My best omakase experience in Japan
The Japanese habit of omakase (お任せ) when you’re ordering at a restaurant pretty much means, “I’ll leave it up to you”, inviting the chef to be innovative and surprising in the selection of dishes. I try to do it in every city I visit, and apply the idea behind to everything between how I pick my runs, how I pick my food, how I plan activities with my kids, how I explore cities and how I travel in general. So, I obviously tried this in the home of omakase, Japan.
The best tips for Japan – according to me
- The Kumano Kodo (also read my packing list and preparations) was my single best experience in Japan. Having the opportunity to experience the old pilgrimage trail as well as meeting locals and seeing some of the most stunning views in Japan was truly memorable.
- The New Japan capsule hotel in Osaka, a men’s club meets capsule hotel meets spa is a great base for your Osaka explorations.
- The Hōnen-in temple in Kyoto but maybe even more the day trip to the Kurama-dera Mountain Temple and the nearby onsen.
My posts on Japan:
- Day planning Japan trip Osaka, Kumano Kodo and Koyasan
- Kumano Kodo Nakahechi and Kohechi solo hike packing list
- Japanese words for hiking in Japan
- How I ended up bar crawling with strangers in Tokyo
- Shikoku solo hike planning and preparation
- The best tips for Japan – according to me.
- The best tips for Kyoto – according to me
- The best tips for Kobe – according to me.
- The best tips for Osaka – according to me
- The best tips for Tokyo – according to me
- Kumano Kodo Nakahechi and Nachi Taisha solo hike packing list (Japan)
- Omakase: Kanteki in Tanabe (Japan)
- Hiking Kumano Kodo: Tsugizakura-oji to Hongu, Hongu to Yunomine (Japan)
- Hiking Kumano Kodo: Takijiri to Tsugizakura
- Hiking Kumano Kodo: Ukegawa to Koguchi, Koguchi to Nachisan (Japan)
- Kumano Kodo solo hike planning and preparation (Japan)
- Kumano Kodo Solo Hike (Japan)
- Day planning Japan trip Kyoto, Kumano Kodo, Osaka, Kobe, Tokyo
So, what are the best tips for Japan – according to you?